The Children of David and Mary/Polly Branscomb:
Please check the Author's Notes for an explanation of the numbering system I use for identifying individuals within any family.
The line of descent for Elizabeth Branscomb:
5. Elizabeth Branscomb
Elizabeth Branscomb was born ca. 1825 in Ky.; died in Johnson Co., Ill., of a stroke (“apoplexy”) December 1886. Buried in Cedar Creek Cemetery in Johnson Co. She married Andrew Jackson May in Johnson Co. on 29 December 1846. Both John May (husband of Sarah Branscomb) and A. J. were involved in the settling of the estate of David Branscome, but A.J, more so than John. A. J. and Elizabeth were also involved in caring for David during his last days on earth. John and A. J. both enlisted in Company F of the 31st Regiment of Illinois Infantry: A. J. enlisted on 1 September 1861, and I suspect that John enlisted on the same date.
Four children are known for Andrew and Elizabeth, all born in Johnson Co.:
51. George Washington May, b. 26 August 1848. , d. 19 September 1916 in Dongola, Union Co., Ill.) He md. (1) on 6 February 1870 Amanda Carlock (b.16 February 1851, d. 5 June 1888). Their children were Charles P. (1871–1953), Mary E. (1872-1874), Lydia A. (1875-1876), Juliette (1877-1878), Andrew Judson (1878-1958), Ida May (1881) and William Ezra (1886). After Amanda’s death George md. on 13 March 1889 Susannah Seay (b.ca. 1853).
52. Mildred (Milly) May, b. ca. 1851; md. in Union Co., Ill., on 11 November 1879 Daniel T. Carlock. (Requires checking. No known children.)
53. Sarah Ann May, b.1855, d. ca. 1942. Md. (1) in Union Co. 9 February 1871 Lindsey Carlock; three children; md. (2) [Thomas] Smoot; three children; md. (3) — Atherton. __ .
54. Elizabeth Angenine May, b. ca. 1858, md. John F. Carlock; four children.
55. Simon Peter May, b. ca. 1861; probably d. y.
56. Lucinda May, b. ca. 1868; prob. d. y.
David Branscomb, son of John and Olive E. Branscomb
Children of David and Mary/Polly Branscomb
Frederick B. Tubbs
Permission is granted to
make copies of information on this Web site for personal (non-commercial)
use only, and only with the provision that you include all the caveats
expressed by the author.
I have relied upon competent
and dedicated colleagues who provided census data, information from county
records, correspondence, and other sources. We have worked closely to
assure that the content on this Web site is as free from error as we can
We will be glad to hear from anyone who can
provide firm evidence to correct any error. Please see the contacts
page for a list of individuals responsible for maintaining accurate
information on the various family branches.