The line of descent for the children of Joseph Edmond Branscomb:
Following is the list of children for Joseph Edmond Branscomb and Diana Pierce:
- Benjamin Franklin Branscomb (1836-1923)
- Virginia Branscomb (b. 1838)
- William Branscomb (b. ca. 1840)
- Thomas Branscomb (b. ca. 1841)
- Eliza A. Branscomb (b. ca. 1844)
- Martha Branscomb (b. ca. 1846)
- Rachel Branscomb (b. ca. 1850)
- Joseph Edmond Branscomb Jr. (b. 1853)
- Emily Branscomb (b. 1855)
- Charles A. Branscomb (ca. 1857-1928)
See separate entries for #11 Benjamin F. Branscomb and #1A Charles A. Branscomb. Information concerning the other children is given below.
12. Virginia Branscomb, b. 1838 IL, married 20 October 1859 in DeKalb Co., MO, Francis J. Littleton, as shown by the marriage records for DeKalb Co. In 1914 they were living in Santa Rosa, CA according to Aurelius O Carpenter and Perry Millberry, The History of Mendocino and Lake Counties, California. (Chicago: Historic Records Co., , p. 1022). Betty Lawrence says also that the family is listed in the 1870 census for DeKalb Co. In 1878 Virginia Littleton gave a (quit claim?) deed in Jackson County, OH, to her uncle #7 Benjamin Branscomb. The logical inference is that her mother had died by 1878, and that as the heir of her deceased father Joseph E. she was conveying his portion of her grandfather Benjamin J. Branscombís estate to her uncle Benjamin. (See further below under #17 Benjamin Jr.)
13. William Branscomb, b. ca. 1840 OH, as shown by the 1850 census. The only information currently known for William is his name in the 1850 census as a member of Joseph Edmondís family. He was listed as age 10, b. OH. Carpenter does not list him as one of the children who survived to adulthood.
14. Thomas M. Branscomb, b. ca. 1841, is shown as age 9 in the 1850 census and as age 18, farm laborer, in 1860. Carpenter does not show him as having survived to adulthood.
15. Eliza A. Branscomb, b. 1844 IL, as shown by the 1850 and 1860 censuses. Carpenterís History says that Eliza died in Burlington prior to 1914 but does not say which state Burlington was in. I do not find a Burlington listed for California. Carpenter gives her married name as Cook; a Jno. T. Cook gave a (quit claim?) deed to Elizaís uncle Benjamin Branscomb on 5 May 1879 (Jackson County, OH, deeds, book 14, p. 389; see below under #17 Benjamin Jr.).
16. Martha Branscomb, b. 1846-47 IL, as shown by the 1850 and 1860 censuses. Md. in Knox Co., IL, 14 June 1863 Andrew S. Owen (Book B, p. 100). Martha Owen gave a (quit claim?) deed to her uncle Benjamin Branscom on 22 April 1882 (Jackson Co., OH, Deeds, Book 18, p. 39).
18. Joseph Edmond Branscomb Jr., b. 1853 IL, as shown by the 1860 census. His full name comes from the aforementioned history of Mendocino County, which states that in 1914 he was living in Wyoming. The knowledge that he was Joseph Edmond Jr. gives us also the complete name of his father. Joseph Edmond Jr. has not yet been located in Wyoming. The IGI gives him a son Basil, b. 1870. (Caution!) Joseph E. was 17 years old in 1870. A homestead land patent awarded 18 December 1937 in Natrona Co., WY, to Lucius T. Branscom may be worth exploring, but the evidence suggests that Lucius was not a descendant of Benjamin.
19. Emily/Emma Branscomb, b. 1855 IA, according to the 1860 and 1870 censuses. The aforementioned history of Mendocino County gives her married name as Pritchard and states that at the time of publication (1914) she was living in San Francisco.